Sunday, April 24, 2016

Upgrading to Nikon D7100 from D5100

Recently I had this discussion with a friend and a similar discussion appeared in the Nikon Photographers LinkedIn group.
I used a D5100 for several years before upgrading to a D7100 which I use to photograph portraits and events. With the D7100 I have easy access to settings through buttons/dials on the body rather than having to dig through a menu. I wanted the high speed flash sync function which the 5000 series doesn't offer. I also like being able to preset 2 custom settings on the mode dial that I can change quickly. The body feels solid, but not too heavy to hand hold. I have also been very happy with the auto focus system especially during video capture. And I own several older non AF-S Nikon lenses that work well with the D7100. Although at first I liked the tilt/swivel screen feature of the D5100, I found it was a novelty that I didn't really use as much. I rarely use Wi-Fi but I have a wireless mobile adapter that works well for me.
I did my research on the features and rented a D7100 for a portrait shoot before I made my purchase. I like to be able to try equipment before I commit & my local camera store will apply the rental cost toward the future equipment purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment